Oslo, Norway – May 3, 2006
Opera Software today released Opera Mini2.0, the new version of the tiny and fast Web browser that runs onalmost every mobile phone. With over 2.5 million users since its firstrelease in January 2006, Opera Mini has revolutionized mobile Webbrowsing. Opera Mini 2.0 further improves the Web surfing experience forany mobile phone user by enabling them to download MP3s, images andother Web content directly to their mobile phone. Additional featuresinclude quick and easy mobile shopping, improved design, bookmark speeddials, and more.
“Opera Mini has kick-started real mobile Web browsing by enablingnon-smartphone owners to surf the full Internet on their phones, just asthey do on their PCs,” said Jon S. von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera Software.”Opera Mini 2.0 adds a more personal aspect to mobile Web browsing.Whether you want to change the way the browser looks to suit your mood,download today’s most popular song, or even check movie times and booktickets, Opera Mini 2.0 is the mobile browser designed for the way youlive your life.”
Browser-to-SMS: A New World of Mobile Commerce
New capabilities in Opera Mini help businesses take the pain out ofmobile commerce. Opera Mini now supports seamless mobile commerce viaSMS. For example, users can click directly on the Web site to purchaseringtones, games and other content which will then be delivered as anSMS. The charge will appear in the phone bill as an SMS with the priceset by the seller. This form of mobile commerce – direct from thebrowser to SMS – simplifies the transaction for both the business andthe consumer.
Opera Mini is also available as a customized browser for businesses thatwant to reach mobile customers. Operators, broadcasters, mobile contentproviders, handset manufacturers and others can take advantage of OperaMini’s fast and easy way to make both existing and new content availableon all handsets.
New features in Opera Mini 2.0 include:
- Content download: Download images, MP3s, etc. directly to the phone.
- New skins: Make Opera Mini your own by selecting from several new and bold skins to suit your mood.
- Multisearch: Opera Mini offers advanced searching functionality by allowing users to select extra search engines for the home page.
- Speed dial: Bookmarks displayed on the home page are assigned a shortcut key combination, giving users faster and easier access to theirfavorite sites.
- Visual navigation: Quick and smooth horizontal panning when browsing backwards or forwards.
Opera Mini is available in the following languages: English, German, Spanish, French, Russian, Polish, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, Finnish.More languages will be available shortly.