Oslo, Norway and Barcelona, Spain – February 12, 2007
Opera Software today announced plans to upgrade mobile Web browsing by developing Opera 9for mobile phones in all major platforms. Opera 9 has enriched Web use onthe PC with new technologies, and now the leading browser innovator willdeliver the same groundbreaking functionality to mobile phones. Theupcoming Opera Mobile edition includes the latest in PC browsing featuressuch as Widgets and Intelligent Zoom.
Opera 9 on mobile phones will add completely new dimensions to navigation.Users can seamlessly alternate between viewing modes to get a birds-eyeperspective or dive into the content they want. Users have the choice tosee an overview of a Web page or adapting the page to the width of thescreen. As first seen with the Opera browser for Wii, Intelligent Zoomallows users to then zoom in directly to a selected area.
Widgets will also debut on mobile phones with the upcoming release ofOpera Mobile. These small Web applications running outside of the browserallow users, manufacturers and operators to create and personalizeservices derived from Web content such as weather and traffic information,news and e-mail. Widgets offer Web applications that are instantlyaccessible on the phone without having to launch the Web browser,presenting dynamic and engaging content directly to users.
“We are impressed with the constantly evolving experience of browsing theWeb,” says Jon von Tetzchner, CEO, Opera Software. “Bringing Opera 9 tomobile phones will present new capabilities in mobile Web services thatwill be exciting to see defined.”
Opera Mobile is currently shipped on more than 50 million phones frommajor manufacturers such as Motorola, Nokia, Samsung and Sony Ericsson.For more information, visit www.opera.com/products/mobile.
Opera Mobile Features to include
- Intelligent Zoom: Zoom in directly to a selected area and continue scrolling for a closer view.
- Grab and scroll: Touch and direct the page up or down on touch-screen devices.
- Multiple Windows/Tabbed browsing: Use multiple windows for multi-task browsing.
- Opera Widgets: Small Web applications that users can easily access without having to open the Web browser.
- Web-address input auto-completion: Reduce input time with an index of address completions.
- Password manager: The password manager remembers your usernames and passwords so you don’t have to.
- Download manager: View download progress and access all your downloads from one simple transfer manager window.
- Pop-up blocker: Control whether to block all pop-ups, or open only the ones that you have requested.
- Bookmarks and History: Keep quick access to your favorites and get back to your last viewed sites.
- Send link as e-mail, SMS, MMS: Send links to e-mail or as messages directly from the browser.