Opera lifts the curtain on Opera TV Store and TV Emulator at IBC
Oslo, Norway – September 7, 2011
Apps on my TV? Yes, you heard correctly: web-enabled TV applications are no longer the stuff of sci-fi films. At IBC 2011, Opera Software pulls out of its hat the all new Opera TV Store, a simple solution for developers to build HTML5 apps for connected TVs and devices. OEMs, on the other hand, can take advantage of these ready-made apps and offer them to their customers in an instant.
“Apps are a new must-have on TVs,” said Frode Hernes, VP Products, TV and Connected Devices, Opera Software. “With the Opera TV Store, developers can easily build cool and useful apps for millions of TV viewers. And, yet again, Opera takes these apps across devices, bringing games, news, video and audio apps to TVs, set-top boxes and Blu-ray players.”
Why stop there?
Opera also presents the Opera TV Emulator, a tool that allows developers do all the nips and tucks needed to build various TV apps without leaving their computers, and without investing in expensive bells and whistles needed for TV development.
The Opera TV Emulator rocks the following innovative features:
- Web standards support. Support for the full suite of web standards, such as HTML5 with video, CSS, Canvas and SVG.
- Support for CE-HTML video. This lets developers test and debug applications that use CE-HTML video streams.
- Speed emulation. This allows content developers to choose one of four speed settings, which helps them evaluate the performance level of the TV app.
- VirtualPC Image. This provides a quick process of installing and running the Linux based SDK on a Windows or Mac PC.
- Opera Dragonfly debugging. This helps developers debug TV applications on their PCs.
“Developing applications for TVs could not be easier,” said Andreas Bovens, Group Leader, Development Relations, Opera Software. “Opera TV Emulator offers a complete package to develop, debug and deploy TV applications right from your PC.”
The new Opera TV Emulator (formerly the Opera Devices CDK) will be available from http://dev.opera.com/sdk/ from September 15th.
No SDK left behind
Meet Opera at IBC
See the Opera TV Store and Opera TV Emulator in action at IBC 2011. Please visit the Opera Software booth in Hall 5, B47, or, for more information, contact Katrin Jaakson. The following partners also showcase Opera on their devices: AirTies Wireless Networks (Hall 5, B33), Albis Technologies (Hall 4, C71), Amino Communications (Hall 5, B40), CreNova Technology (Hall 5, B15b), Entone (Hall 13, 266), Ericsson (Hall 1, D61), HUMAX Co. Ltd (Hall 4, B70), IMAQLIQ (Hall 13, 372), SetOne (Hall 4, B50), Technisat Digital S.A. (Hall 1, A44), ViXS Systems Inc. (G104), Zappware (Hall 4, B51), 3view Consumer Electronics Ltd. (Hall 13, 154).